Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Retro Chair Remodel

This summer I decided to take my parents old patio furniture and do a little remodel on it. These chairs were given to my parents by a friend many years ago. I remember painting them in High School as part of my chores to make some money for my drivers ed training. :)

As you can see that was a long time ago and it was time that they be brought back to life, again.

I ended up ripping the wicker seat portion out of the entire chair and sanding down all the worn off paint, cross by cross. Once I was done sanding I picked up 4 cans of brown spray paint and started to spray. Little did I know that all that spray painting would lead to a compressed nerve in my pointer finger. Click HERE to see what I found out...who knew!

Once the chairs were painted I needed something to sit on. I cut a piece of plywood into the shape of the seat, then picked up some 3" foam, and some outdoor canvas fabric. I cut the foam to the shape of the plywood and then sprayed the foam and plywood with spray adhesive. Once that was done I pulled the fabric around to the bottom of the plywood and stapled it all the way around.
Here is my finished product. There are actually two chairs but I was having a hard time photographing both on my 5x10' deck! They are really comfy too. Now I am just on the look out for one of thoes ceramic drum stools.

3 comments:

  1. Those turned out great! Want to come do my dining room chairs? ;)

    I saw some of the ceramic drums at Big Lots awhile back. I'd check there first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creative. They turned out great Megs!

    ReplyDelete